Coupon Clippers

10.14.2008

Realizations of an SLP

I've had the priveledge of working in an acute care hospital this past semester for grad school. I've learned so much in this setting, and have really enjoyed it. I knew going into grad school that this would be the hardest semester for me because I didn't know if I was ready to face an internship like this. I didn't know if I was ready to face death because emotionally I feel so vulnerable after the loss of my precious dad, and even after almost 2 years, it still feels so fresh. I think this internship has been one of the best things to help facilitate the healing process even more. Anyone who is hurting and healing, I encourage you to give of yourself and you will gain so much more.
Here's a few of my realizations I've had:
1- Death never gets any easier to deal with. It will always be someone's loved one, someone's husband/wife/dad/mother/child/friend, and making the decision about end of life measures never gets any easier, but what a family needs most during this time is empathy and education. That's what I can offer to a family with a loved one who is dying. I have been in their shoes, I know what it's like, and I can give of myself because I can empathize.
2- This is the absolute perfect profession for me. I feel honored to be a part of such an honorable profession that helps people every single day, and the impact you can have is profound. Each day when I walk out the hospital doors, I know I have made a difference in someone's life that day. The information I share may not always be positive or may not be what the family had hoped to hear, but the manner I present it in, the empathy I can show, and education we give encourages families, inspires patients for success, and make an impact in that individual's life.
3- Medical intervention is so wonderful, but despite what we know as healthcare professionals, the Great Physician can intervene at any time as He sees fit. We will never understand His plan, but I'm so glad that I can see His hand at work each day.
4- I have so much left to learn. I learn so much each day, and I'm so thankful for the doctors, nurses, and other speech-language pathologists who take the time to explain various medical conditions to me, various therapeutic techniques, and diagnostic techniques.

0 comments: